Did I mention that I’m often am interested in fairly obscure things? Now this is again one of these niche subjects that sparked my interest. A Tiger I named ‘Tiki’. The one on the picture is marked as #833, but there are references to a #312. This could be due to the tank being transferred to another unit, but that is just speculation in my part.
So on we dig. So far I know that:
- It was commanded by SS-UntersturmFührer Steinhofen
- First saw action at Kharkov in December 1942 till April 1943.
- Herr Steinhofen was present at an awards ceremony of the (in)famous ‘Das Reich’ SS division on 20 April 1943
- It had at least several turret numbers.
- Battle at Kursk, 1942
- Tank battle of Kolomak (destroying 79 T-34s and a single KV-1)
- Normandy, Avranches, Falaise Gap, Coutances, D-Day 1944
- Battle of the Bulge, Grandmenil
- Operation Frühlingserwachen
And that’s about it. I keep finding posts on forums that I still have to dig through, so stay tuned!