I find myself often interested in things that seem small to other people. The case in point is an appearance of a picture of a Tiger I named ‘Strolch’ on the slightly inappropriately named TankPorn subreddit. After some digging I found what seems to be the original post of this picture at the Tiger im Focus forum.
Some more digging later I learned that it was part of the Schwere Panzerkompanie ‘Meyer’ (Heavy Tank Company Meyer). This unit was commissioned as a ‘Alarmeinheit’ for Italy between the 26th and 28th of July 1943 and consisted of 6 Tiger I’s from the schweren Panzer Ersatz und Ausbildungsabteilung 500 (Heavy Armor Replacement and Training section 500). The unit was named after it’s commander, Lt. Meyer.
A short summary of its activities:
- August 1943: The unit reaches the Gruppe Norditalien
- September 1943: The unit is involced in disarming Italian troops
- December 1943: The unit moves to a position south of Rome.
- 22 June 1944: A counterattack on the Allied landings at Anzio fails.
- 3 March 1944: After more operations the unit is replaced by the schwere Panzer Abteilung 508